Well hello there! It's been a while. I kind of forgot about this little blog for a time. I often think about blogging here and wonder if I should continue or just post exclusively over at Handmaker's Factory but there are certain things I just don't think have a place there and I still want to share.
There hasn't been a whole lot of sewing happening around here lately. Not that I don't want to it's just I'm not finding the time, life seems to be racing along at a speed I just can't keep up with but I'm enjoying the ride!
Running around after kids and keeping on top of things at Handmaker's Factory fills up my days but I have found some time to be creative even though it's not been at the sewing machine.
I bought six of these chairs on Ebay over a year ago with the intention of sanding them back and giving them a lick of paint. I managed to paint one and the rest were left as they were until a few weeks ago when late one night browsing the web I discovered Apprentice Extrovert. I was inspired to pull out the chairs and get to work on them in time for my parents visiting from the UK. Oh yes, I didn't tell you that part! They arrive this coming Saturday and it will be the first time we've seen each other in almost four years!
The chairs were sanded back and my handy friend Rusty kindly cut new seats for me. I then spent far too long looking at paint chips in Bunnings before deciding on charcoal.
Thankfully the weather was on my side while I primed and painted making the process much quicker than expected.
I'm very pleased with how they turned out and I plan to make seat cushions for them....one day. For now though we have beautiful functional chairs to sit on.
While I was in the zone I picked up this chair from my local buy, swap and sell group for $10. It looked a bit sad and sorry but I saw the potential and thought it could be a great addition to Mia's new bedroom.
I sanded it back to the wood and fixed the leg then painted part of the chair in the same charcoal I used for the kitchen chairs. The rest I left as it was and polished it with beeswax.
The seat was in need of some major work or replacing altogether which I just don't have the time or money for at the moment so I fixed it up the best I could and recovered it with some cotton drill from my stash.
I'll get around to replacing the seat one day but for now it's pretty good and does the job.
There's something about being able to save an old piece of furniture from the landfill and turning it back into a functional and once again loved part of your home. Next up I have a dressing table with a mirror to fix up for Mia's room. Watch this space!